Frozen 'coolant'...that sucks

Hey all.  As I've mentioned before, I picked up an 88 Scirocco in Grand
Forks, ND while on vacation in northwest MN.  The inlaws towed the car
down here to UT two days before I left to go to CA for a few weeks, so I
didn't have time to mess with the car at all.  Well, now I'm back in UT
and decide to check the car's fluid levels before taking it for a drive.
To my surprise the coolant in the reservoir is partially frozen!
Improperly mixed coolant really was never a concern of mine since the
car has spent it's life in the Minneapolis and St. Cloud areas...brrr.
So...my question is...what's the best way of going about this?  How
would I know if any damage is done internally?  Radiator?  Engine block?
I kicked the Cabby out of the garage and pushed the Scirocco into it
hoping the coolant would thaw.  The garage is not heated tho, but it
appears that the coolant in the reservoir has melted but I don't know
how to tell if it's melted inside the radiator and block.  I'm paranoid
to start it for obvious reasons, so I haven't.  I'm thinking I should
pull it behind the GTI to the dealer and store it overnight in their
shop then get the coolant changed.  Any advice and/or opinions are
appreciated.

On a side note, any one have experiences with handheld CB's?  I'm
thinking of buying one for long trips since we all know CB's are best
cop 'detection'.  :-)  I know installing a CB would be the best way to
go, but I drive 3 cars so that would get a little expensive.  Radio
Shack has a handheld on sale for 49.99.  I had a REALLY close call on
the way back from CA Friday following a new Alero at 100+ (good thing
the cop passed me and went after the Alero...phew!), so I want some kind
of way of knowing where our friendly cops are hiding and I HATE radar
detectors.  What do ya think?  Please respond privately on that
question...

-Mike