16V tranny case same as 8V?

Since my request for a case, I've had two volunteers.  Is it safe to assume
that a 9A or other 8V transmission case is the same as 16V, and that only
the shaft sizes (and a few gear ratios) are different?  My tranny did the
old "stuff the two sheared rivets thru the case" trick a few years ago, and
has two welds which I think have now recracked.  My transmission is in great
shape, except all of the oil leaked out down to the one quart level.  I
replaced all the seals (and bearings!) about 4 months ago, and it just
leaked back out again.  I think I'm going with the .80 fifth gear.  I
recently spent 6 weeks in England driving a rental car (on the wrong side of
the road!) and the Scirocco now sounds so loud in 5th that I keep trying to
put it in 6th...

Thanks,

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
87 16V