Water Pump Question

Weird.

    I was replacing components in the cooling system of my 86 16v in an
effort to stop the thing from overheating.  After the install by a local
shop, I started it up and noticed that my water pump was leaking from
the weep hole.  I tried this a few times, and each time I got the leak
almost instantaneously.  Brand new pump(yes, I was pissed, why do you
ask?)!!!!  No other leaks.  I called the supplier to complain, and had
another one sent out with the intention of sending back the defective
one.  Now, after sitting a few months, I start the thing up and no
leak.  Nothing.  I filled the coolant tank, drove the car to operating
temperature, and still no leak.  Anybody heard of one of these things
sealing itself?  I live in Corpus Christ Tx, so the temps are not that
extreme.  Is there some sort of break in period that I don't know about?

Lloyd
86 16v SII
85 8v Golf