RE: Pully question yet again . .

Danny,

Do you know which pulley it is?

  The reason I ask is cause my GF has an 86 Jetta GLI and one nice day
the water pump pulley decides to go freaky  on her.  Now this car has
power steering (as does yours, hence the relavence), so the water pump
pulley is actually a dual pulley, one for the crank-WP-AC, and one for
crank-PS-WP. The thing that failed, and made a beautiful metal grinding
noise, was the "clutch" mechanism that VW/Audi put in between the two
pulleys in the double pulley. I reasoned that the reason for the
"clutch" was that if the power steering pump siezed, then the water pump
could still cool the engine and prevent disaster.  A new pulley was on
the order of $100 (don't remember for sure because I dismissed it as
ridiculous)
  Now to make a long story short (too late!!), I decided to fix it.  What
I did was to go to the junkyard and get a WP pulley from a car without
PS. This way it was the single pulley. It is the same diameter as the
old double pulley. Then I "measured" (read: went to Pep Boys 3 times,
each time returning the wrong size belt for the "right" size) for the
right size v-belt to run from just the crank to the PS pump.
  So the new setup has no double pulley, and if the PS pump siezes, then
it will not prevent the WP from pumping. The one thing is that the PS
pump belt runs just over the face of the WP pulley. There is about a 2mm
clearence. Kinda close. Prolly the reason why VW decided to go with a
double pulley in the first place.

Cost of parts:
 $5 for pulley
+cost of belts