Problem with MFC and battery(?)

The other morning I had real trouble getting my engine to turnover. It
was probably about -7C and it *really* slowly chugged a couple times and
then all of a sudden, "vroom" (ha! -- gotta love the sfx) it started.
The voltmeter was showing about 8 - 10 V but after it ran for a sec it
poped back up to the norm 13.8. Ever since then (it has been
significantly warmer lately) if my car sits for any period of time, say
3-4 hours, I have the same rough turnover problem.  Also ever since that
cold morning, my clock has been stuck at 8:51 despite my trying to set
it and my MFC just doesn't seem to work -- I press the button and
nothing happens.

My first question: Did that one cold morning do some permanent draining
damage to my battery?

My second question: Has anyone else had problem like this with their
MFC?

Thanks for any help.

-Brandon Dove
89 Scirocco GT