Air box question/mods

Ok now I have my box out cause my car is up on jackstands waiting for my new
tran and clutch to get here. ..
Now heres my question . . oh this a is a 16v airbox . .
Ok well there are three holes drilled in it stock I would like to add at least
on this box
ok well I was looking at the box and the sensor . .  now my question is since
the inlet and the exit for this box are right in line for each other  ..
whats the use for the rest of the box. .  couldn't I mod the box and get rid
of half of it . .  or just direct the air flow inside and get rid of half if
it from the inside . . ?
examles

    _________________
    |                             |
    |               ________|
    |_______/
   /    /
    ^
    ^   air in  . . stock
 OK my Idea is to add som plastic to flow the air right into the that big
sensor . .
sorry I'm not technical . .  can't find my bently. .
well this is my idea . .
   _________________
   |                 |        <------- this part not used . . just blocked or
taken off all together
   |                /_______|      and have a small frame hold the box in and
a peice to
   |________/                       cover the rest of the sensor covered by
the box if it doesn't need all that air going to it. . . or just leaving the
second have and drilling a few holes into the new inner peice  if air is
really needed on the other half of the box. .
Any one have any idea's or tried it. .
My initial goal is to just have a small box over what is needed and a straight
pipe getting frish air from the grill or under the car with a cone type
filter. . like a hondas coolman or ice man system ..  which ever to many air
systems to get the name righ t. . .
Well sorry it was so long. . I got into this . .
Well I'll just sit and look at this box some more. . .
Thanks., .
~Danny~
88 16v Tornado Red