Re: Jamax Air box

SCIROCCO87@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/13/98 11:12:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> vwpride@mixi.net writes:
>
> <<  I'm just saying that the stock airbox is not
>  starved for air to begin with.  It's like saying: "I've got a funnel with a 1
> inch
>  outlet that's 6 inches wide at the top, and I'm gonna really be able to make
> water
>  pour faster through it if I make it 12" inches at the top."
>  Now, if you have a ported and polished intake, cam, dual downpipe, big tb
> etc, and
>  see your intake boot constricting upon itself or feel you're starving for air
> at
>  the front, that's another matter.  >>
>
> Jim... I totally agree with you... but... Bernouley's(sp?) principle says that
> if you have more air flowing at the beginnning of a restricted  funnel then
> the air at the other end will have to move faster.

Very true, Dan, provided the air coming into the funnel can be sufficiently
compressed to deliver a more compact charge of air, which turbos and supers do
artificially by making the flow only one way and squeezing the air to create
positive intake manifold pressure.  Cutting up the airbox won't do that.  It may
provide quicker throttle response tho, since more air is available right now.

> I think this arguement is where everyone gets the idea that their cars will be
> faster with the chopped box.... problem is that the chopped box is still having
> the air sucked in so
> it can't move any faster.  That's Y i feel that a RAM AIR system is ideal and
> I'm still trying to design a good one.

I still think if you put a big ole hood scoop on top or underneath, your benefit
will be almost exclusively from cooler air, not from some pressurized charge of
air the scoop might generate.  Now a 300mph funny car yes, but normally-aspirated
Asian drag cars with small displacement don't have ram air systems, but they DO
have tubes and stuff to get air from the headlight socket, under the front, or
anywhere away from the heat of the engine and radiator to get the most horsepower.

jim

--
Jim Buck
1990 Passat Wagon 2.0 16v