RE: 1.8 16V cams, 2.0 liter upgrade

Thanks for all the good advice, folks.  Is it safe to assume that any 2.0
liter short block will do, or do I need a 16V version?  Knowing how VW
operates, I wouldn't think there would be a difference, but you never know.
And couldn't I just get a 2.0 liter block, bore my present 1.8 liter block
from 81.5 to 82.5 mm for the 2.0 pistons, and stick the 2.0 liter crank,
rods, and pistons in my block and have a "like new" 2.0 liter?  My current
block has 145,000 miles on it, and although you can still see the
crosshatching on the walls in places, I'm still tempted to bore it a little
for longevity, especially if I need to open it up to 83.5 mm .  I don't
really want to have to jerk this thing back out any time soon...

Thanks,

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama

87 16V Scirocco
mailto:langford@hiwaay.net