Re: even more tranny problems

On Sat, 12 Dec 1998 11:44:38 -0800 Kevin <aventari@cts.com> writes:
>i've been thinking about buying another Scirocco, it's $500obo and the
guys
>says it's in good condition, except the tranny is shot. He says when
it's
>in gear that the tranny 'binds' and the car doesn't move. he's an old vw
>mechanic so i'm assuming he figured out it's not the clutch or linkage
or
>anything. do anyone know what could happen to the tranny to do this?
>anyone have a cheap running 8v 90mm axle 5 speed for sale??

Depends on what he means by binding. Sounds like its locking first and
reverse gear together. Either way, rebuild or replacement.

I think I would get the car, yank the tranny (only takes 30-45 minutes to
drop the tranny) and take it with you to Ecology. Find yourself a used
tranny there, (Cost something like $85 for a tranny + $60 for a core
charge.) drop it and exchange your bad tranny for it. Leave your bad
tranny to save the $60 and you've got yourself a car.
Extremely affordable.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and