Re: car dies for no apparent reason

In a message dated 12/11/98 9:27:59 PM Pacific Standard Time,
magritte@pobox.com writes:

>  If you've read this far--have any suggestions?  I'm thinking maybe it's
>  the ignition switch, but it doesn't seem like a failing ignition switch
>  would explain all of the behavior the car is displaying.
>

>   +                                         +
>     Gary Moore, Technical Editor

Have you thought that the Alt. is not putting out +12V anymore? Sounds like
the battery, which will tend to recharge itself from chemical reactions, has
been trying to over come a lack of positive voltage. Consequentially it will
supply your car's needs as long as it's able to and then, chug, chug, it's
toast. Leave it awhile and it'll try again.

Slap a Volt-Ohm meter on the thing while it is idling, 12Volts or more,
13-14.5 max is ideal with no extra loads on the system.

Obvious reasons to suspect charging system leads to the following remedies:

1. Check belt, might be slipping quietly.
2. Verify that there is a good connection on the Alt's big red(s) and small
(blue?) exciter wires. A little contact cleaner would be nice.
3. Check, with the car off, for a dramatic amp drain on the system. Portions
of an amp are not critical, 1 or more amps draining are a problem. ( Correct
me if required  folks, on my units of measure )
4. Verify the 'big' side of the engine bay's electrical wires- Ground strap
may not be, ( either grounding or strapped on) build up (Invisible to the
naked eye) may need to be cleaned off stuff like the battery posts and clamps.
Don't question it, just do it and sleep better.
5. Consider pulling Alt. Most shops will test one for free, if replacing- be
sure to get same pulley offset, mounting, and wire connections. There are at
least two major different types of each of these three areas.

hth,
TBerk