RE: more damn fuel questions

On Thursday, December 10, 1998 12:08 PM, noodle noggin
[SMTP:scirocco82@hotmail.com] wrote:
> hey all,
> hey I can not get my thing started (car perverts)
> I checked to see if I have spark at the coil...yes, at the plugs...yes.
> So I think it is fuel related. I am trying to check my pump. I replaced
> the fuel pump relay...nothing. When I bypass the relay the pump works.
> So my question is when I remove one of the lines from the fuel
> distributer and crank the engine or bypass the relay, should fuel be
> pumping out there or not? not in my case. When I disconnect the line at
> the out put of the fuel filter, fuel sprays everywhere (i didnot actualy
> take it all the way off just loosned it and it sprayed) If not where can
> I check the fuel output?
> sorry if these are some stupid or basic questions.
> thanks for the previous replys.
> c-ya,
> dave

Just make sure that you are smoking and that you brother is knocking back
on a bottle of Jack Daniels nearby when you unhook those fuel unions.

Yes fuel should be pumping out but only if you undid the right line.  My
favorite is the one that runs from the fuel filter to the fuel
distributor..unhook the fuel distributor end...this way you can see if the
filter is clogged also.  The spray that you saw could just be residual
pressure in the system.  Once you bleed the pressure out by opening the
line, then crank it and see if it sprays.  Another good one is the cold
start injector line.  Unhook this at the valve and crank the motor....that
will let you know if your fuel distributor is somehow pooched.

An empty 2 liter bottle to stuff the unhooked line into is probably best
for these tests

Brian Honnold
'78 Rocco Ragtop (another slow day at the orofice)