more damn fuel questions

hey all,
hey I can not get my thing started (car perverts)
I checked to see if I have spark at the coil...yes, at the plugs...yes.
So I think it is fuel related. I am trying to check my pump. I replaced
the fuel pump relay...nothing. When I bypass the relay the pump works.
So my question is when I remove one of the lines from the fuel
distributer and crank the engine or bypass the relay, should fuel be
pumping out there or not? not in my case. When I disconnect the line at
the out put of the fuel filter, fuel sprays everywhere (i didnot actualy
take it all the way off just loosned it and it sprayed) If not where can
I check the fuel output?
sorry if these are some stupid or basic questions.
thanks for the previous replys.
c-ya,
dave