RE: wider rear track handling discussion.......

>Chris Coracini wrote:
>
>> the rest responded saying that it will adversely affect handling, namely
>> the car will understeer/push more.
>
>Yeah, I can guarantee that this will happen. Widening the rear track makes
>that
>end more stable or less prone to rolling. There will be a resultant increase
>in
>traction and this bias will promote understeer.

....which i say can be compensated by a larger rear bar.  a sway bar
increases the weight transfer on that axle, which decreases overall
traction (on that axle) slightly....

>If anything, you'd want to
>increase the track up *front*. I think folks do this to front wheel drive
>cars
>so that they look like "faster/racier" rear wheel drive cars. Now, to my eye
>it
>just makes them look like dumbasses who don't know their asses from their
>elbows, but...

ouch...  here's something i noticed yesterday.  not all FWD cars are set
up like this.  look at honda preludes, the rear track is just as wide as
the front (if not wider?).  something more close to home?  corrados...
followed one yesterday and i'll be damned if the rear wheels are just as
flush (almost) as the front ones.  so why the scirocco and not the
corrado?

chris
86 16V scirocco