[autox tranny problem revealed][storytime kiddies]

Message text written by Shawn C Meze

The last time we spoke, I had went to Norton AFB to autox when on my
first run, mid way thru the run, I oiled down the track with NEO
synthetic tranny fluid. (shits expensive too.)
The car ran and drove fine except for this profuse draining of the tranny
fluid.

"Snip"

As Shawn was finishing they called his 82 "THE DIESEL SCIROCCO."
Shawn laid down a nice line from the finish to our pit. Several people
ran over to help Shawn. It looked like an old out take from the wizard of
OZ
(fallow the tranny soaked road, fallow the tranny soaked road, fallow,
fallow… ).
For a guy who just decorated the coarse with
tranny fluid and closed the track he was very popular. It looked like
the gang was going to do what it took to get Shawn and Julie home that day.
I was waiting to codrive Shawn’s car. Earlier we mounted my race wheels on
Shawn's 82 MK2 because he needed some real rubber on the road.
After we saw the stream of fluid from Shawn's tranny it was obvious that
the plan was going to change. We sat around for a few minutes,
Shawn was depressed to say the least and the only way we were going to get
our runs in would be to drive my MK1. I did not want to push my car too
hard
after developing a leek in the CV on Saturday. This is why I offered to let
Shawn use
my BFG R1's and race wheels. So I made a mad dash to mount the race
wheels on to my car and run the next 3 runs.  Some guy who looked like he
knew
what he was doing helped me change the wheels from Shaw’s to mine. I
removed my street wheels as Shawn reassembled his car with his street
wheels.
We just made the tech inspection
and drove over to the pregrid. The other drivers were slipping and sliding
around
the coarse as I was strapping on my helmet. I wanted to drive first this
time for the same
reason that I wanted Shawn to drive his car first. If it breaks the owner
would
get some runs in. This concept worked perfectly on Shawn's car.
I was happy that I did not break his car but Shawn may have left the car at
home
if I did not offer him the chance to run with real rubber. Well
I made it to the front of the line and the green flag fell. I was thinking
the CV
could go but I came to race and so I did. About half way through the run I
could
feel the car banging in the front. My confidence was deteriorating fast.
Saturday I ran
a 85.5 and now it looked like the end was near for two Sciroccos in two
runs.

Would the CV blow?    Y  /  N

Was I just nervous?     Y  /  N

Is Shawn the King of bad luck?    Y  /  N

Well I finish the run. My time was slow but it looked like the car was
going to live.
The noise could have been from several sources. I had an all new suspension
that I bought from Mike Potter at V.W.Parts. The CV was fine.
So out I go to do my second run. This run was worse! Now I knew the car
was broken. We jacked up the car to look and the front wheel almost fell
off.
The dude who helped me put the wheels on the car did not fully tighten
them.
Now I felt better about the CV but this would be the last time I would let
someone help me set up my car. I usually don’t let people help me but this
time
we needed it.  I got my last run in without a problem. Shawn drove two runs
after me.

What a day!!

Doug
87 16v