Re: [autox tranny problem revealed][storytime kiddies]

Shawn wrote:

>We had gone to "Velocity Sport Tuning" to pick up a new flywheel
>(Lightened no less. hey, you gotta take advantage of upgrading
>opportunities when you can, yeah baby!!) and spoke with Jeff Moss.
>He told me that he has only seen bolt kits fail while being installed.
He was as shocked about our findings as we were. (You should of heard
the Potterman chanting "oh shit" over and over for about 20 minutes...)

Speaking of holes in casings and bolts a flyin, the same thing happened
to my car a year ago.  I had rebuilt tranny (9A) with the bolt kit on it
from VW Transaxle ( I think, but it's something like from Oregon).
Anyways, it was actually coming back from a trip at VST that it
happened.  Couldn't tell at first because it was rainin.  I couldn't see
through my hatch window, so I used my rear wiper to.  It just smeared,
and that's when I said uh oh!

BIG fat hole in the tranny casing, and one sheared bolt.  Happened after
roughly 50k on the rebuilt.  It had Redline tranny fluid.  I was lucky
in that the the gears didn't get thrashed from the bolt, so my local
mechanic rebuilt my tranny for about the same as gettin a used tranny.

Ian Tam
86 GTi (2021cc) 8v   ( on my first rebuilt rebuilt tranny)