[autox tranny problem revealed][storytime kiddies]

The last time we spoke, I had went to Norton AFB to autox when on my
first run, mid way thru the run, I oiled down the track with NEO
synthetic tranny fluid. (shits expensive too.)
The car ran and drove fine except for this profuse draining of the tranny
fluid.

So I had to leave the car there (2 hrs from home) and thanks to the
kindness of true autox  brothers and sisters, I was able to borrow a
Scirocco and make it home. Yesterday I was able to go back up and with
the help of Craig Angel (Of Cal Club) trailered my Scirocco to the
Pottermans house. (45 minutes away. The logical starbase repair
facility.)

While driving the car up on the trailer, I managed to rip off the exhaust
pile from behind the cat and bend the "over the axle pipe". Its only
money.

On the way to Mikes place, the Scirocco I had borrowed started to make
the squealing terminal water pump sound but I kept on driving, watching
the water temp and also looking at the cars behind me to see if I was
loosing coolant. It made some sickening noises but it ran cool and there
was no sign of leaking. it turned out to be a bolt that holds the alt
case together backed out and was machining the inpeller. Just more
quality examples of how my week has been going. I count my blessings, it
made it there.

So I dig into the task of removing the tranny (30 minute job.) I discover
that there is a nice hole in the case. There's another .22 size hole in
the case at the differential housing. The hole in the case next to the
output shaft where the drive pinion shaft bearing sits in the housing was
broken. (I plan to take pictures of this and post it on my web page.)

In the crack I pried out what later turned out to be a stud with a nut on
it. This debris is what's left of my bolt kit. As you will recall, a
while ago I had my tranny completely rebuilt which included a factory
bolt kit and anti self machining clips installed with all new bearings,
syncros ect. The bolt kit failed, simple as that.

We had gone to "Velocity Sport Tuning" to pick up a new flywheel
(Lightened no less. hey, you gotta take advantage of upgrading
opportunities when you can, yeah baby!!) and spoke with Jeff Moss.

He told me that he has only seen bolt kits fail while being installed. He
was as shocked about our findings as we were. (You should of heard the
Potterman chanting "oh shit" over and over for about 20 minutes...)

OK, so I tossed in the new clutch and flywheel and the did my famous
bench pressing in of the tranny. (The Potterman was impressed. Especially
when I was holding it up, balancing it with one hand to grab a bolt.
Rggh-Rggh-Rggh!!) By the time I was finished with the installation, it
was 1:am. I didn't make it home til 3:am only because my bent exhaust
system fell apart on the freeway and I completely lost my temporary
straight pipe. (Damn semi truck ran it over! Bastard.)

Then as I get onto I-8 for the last 12 miles to my house, I pass one CHP
on the side of the road. An open exhaust on an empty freeway is really
hard to be quiet. He looked hard at me coming, and passing. 1 mile later,
another one.... im gonna get popped. Nothing. Another mile, a third CHP
and they all stare me down as I go by, coasting but its still loud.... I
got lucky, I AM thankful I made it home.

Anyways, a big Thanks to the Potterman for ALL the help with parts and
especially to the Potterwoman for the perfect meal for the cold night
laying on a COLD concrete floor.  (Soup and Sandwiches, yummy, hit the
spot!)

FINI.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and