Audio in the Scirocco was: non rocco RE: sub box?

In a message dated 12/8/98 9:48:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rhl@student.umass.edu writes:

>  While on this subject, has anyone found a way to or rather have
>  pictures of how they were able to mount a sub + an amp, or a
>  powered sub, in their Scirocco without taking up the trunk space?
>  My only thought would be to wedge one in under the slats that the
>  factory speakers are on, right in the trunk, only that might limit
>  access to either the rear lights, or the rear wiper windshield wiper
>  resevoir. any ideas?
>  thanks,
>  Rob Luhrs
>
>  --

Since the early models don't make provisions for rear speakers then folks have
gotten inventive with placement.

Standard op. is to cut some holes in the rear shelf. Problems may come from
the weight and how would you mount an enclosure up under there for a med.
sized sub?

Alt. location is to consider the spaces on the side, perhaps forming
enclosures from fiberglass & HDF. I'd consider in front of the shock towers as
this leaves more cargo space in the rear vs placing them far back in the
corners which might trap stuff but prob. would be a better location, sonic
wise.

Some folks have used the spare tire well to build up a decent sub box but this
doesn't leave room for the spare. ( Don't even consider without lining the
inside w/ padded fiberglass to make a non-rattling rear end. ) One guy built a
raised floor that included enough air space under it to accommodate the sub he
used. I think this design retained the spare tire. I myself have built a rear
cargo floor out of HDF,  high density fiber board, and covered it w/ 'gray
fuzzy', the stuff used on industrial strength speakers.

I have been fabricating a replacement rear shelf myself and have some 4 1/2"
ers left over from the GTI's dash I'm gonna pop back there, just to get
something in the back. I also have a med value 8" sub I'm looking to slap in
somewhere for now while I work on the underdash project I mentioned earlier.

Mk2 Sciroccos are luckier in that they have rear speaker locations on the rear
side shelves. I had thought to place larger speakers there by slanting them at
an angle below the opening and enclosing them in a cylindrical type enclosure.

Pre-PS: Another idea just popped in my head; A wedge type box that goes from
the edge of the rear hatch to the floor, runs the width of the interior and
only used enough depth to accommodate the sub's given values. With a heavy
duty screen on it's front it would be safe against loading damage. Secured but
removable for access to rear lights and rear washer bottle.

TBerk
run with it.