Re: Scirocco vs Daytona

> I am about to purchase yet another project car. It is a toss up between a
> 16v Scirocco and a Turbo Daytona.
>
> I would love some honest objective feedback

Isn't the Daytona built on the same basic platform as the Reliant/K?

I've never owned a Daytona.  I did own a Reliant once(regretably).   I have
only this to offer up:  The Daytona is the most ugly, wannabe, wanker,
piece of shit made by the big 3 in all the 80's.   Of course, that says
nothing of the mechanics.  I know a guy that had a turbo omni once.  That
was a damn fast car.  He used to run low 13s with it if memory serves.

The MkII Scirocco is by far the better looking of the two.  As for
mechanics, My 88 has over 200k on the original engine.  It drivees great,
handles great, (I would put money on it any day against a daytona in stock
form, turbo...well, that's out of my class anyway:-))   In short, I love it
and wouldn't trade it for much.  A Z3M maybe, but not Daytona.

later,
Greg Faust

85 Mazda RX7 - autoxer
86 Jetta Deluxe 2dr - snow dog
87 GLi  - baby carrier
88 Scirocco 16v -(208k miles and counting)