bad experiance @ Sears... Was - Re: mechanics

Hello,

I am so paronoid when other people work on my car.  There is only one
mechanic i fully trust.  The other eve when i went to sears to get my
tires put on (i ordered 2 Falcon Ziex 195/50/15 Hrated).  I obviously
cannot put 50 series tires on my rims w/o bitching them up and I also
cant balance them.  I figured I would let a "professional" do the work.

Got my car to Sears.  I asked if I could bring it into the garage.  For
insurance reasons (i understand them) the guy had to drive it in. Only
one or two of the workers there could drive stick.... damn.... Anyway,
they were gonna put it on the lift, but they saw that my Jetta bumper
cover (looks schweet...) was too low and would touch it.  So, he put the
car in the area w/o a jack so that he could manually jack it up w/ a
hydraulic floor jack.

The guy that was working on my car wasnt gonna do this (since i was
getting both front tires replaced). So, he had ME move the car onto the
other lift that they have... (the kind that is red and its kinda like
two ramps that you drive on and it lifts the car about 1.5-2.5 ft in the
air. Im told that this is an alignment lift?

Everything is all fine, tires are put on, etc.... So, the other tech
gets into my car to back it off of the lift. I have a golf ball shift
knob on and the shift pattern is off.  The guy obviously never drove a
VW before when he asked me where Reverse was.  I said "It's up and to
the left, you have to push down".  So, he is trying to JAM it into
reverse, its not working and eventually pops the linkage off.  Damn! So,
we think the linkage is under the car and the monkeys are going to push
my baby off the lift.  Right as the front wheels come off the lift, my
bumper cover catches in the front and rips right off, putting a huge
crack in it. Its not fixable.....  Anyway, we eventually found the
linkage still in the engine compartment... make that, I found the
linkage in the engine compartment.... And they said they would pay for
my bumper and all that. I paid $85 for it, but I should have said i paid
like $175 or $200 for it.  O well.  I ordered my new bumper and it
should be in this week sometime.

Pete