Instrument Problems

Last week my dial brightness adjustment dial thingie broke.
Put in a new switch and it worked fine until last night.
The same thing happened again. Crackling noises and some smoke.
I have checked the connections to as many electrical things as I could
possibly find.
It turns out that the earth wire to the radio was broken so it was getting
the earth from the antenna.
Can anyone tell me if this could have caused my problems with the brightness
dial?

TIA

Mark Thomas U.K.    '87 Scirocco GT
Email: mark.thomas15@virgin.net