REV Counter

I fitted  a set of white dials this afternoon to brighten up my dreary
looking dashboard.
All went swimmingly well until I tried driving the car.
The dials illuminate correctly (looks great) and the speedo works fine but
the Rev Counter is messed up.
The needle stays at about 1000 revs (even when the engine isn't running.
If I rev the engine the needle wobbles a little bit but remains at about
1000.
Has anybody had a similar experience or have any ideas what is wrong with
it?

Mark Thomas U.K.    '87 Scirocco GT
Email: mark.thomas15@virgin.net