updating guages in MK1

A wierd crazy thought came over me the other day. I was looking at
the speedo in an Audi 5K and thought "I wonder if there is some way
to change over to an electric speedo in my '81?" What do you think?
There's got to be some way to change over to more accurate guages.
The tach bounces when you hit a bump, reacts slow, and is inaccurate.
 The speedo makes noise and isn't all that accurate either.  There's
got to be some car out there that has round guages about the same
size.  Creating the electric signal for the speedo wouldn't be that
difficult. You would just need to know how many pulses per mile it's
supposed to have and how many times per mile the factory cable
rotates.  The tach would be a little more difficult do to the
location of gas guage and temp guage, but there's got to be a tach
that you could swap the guts off of.  What do you guys think?  Maybe
guages from a 944? Audi 5K?
                   Kris Rayner
                1984 VW Scirocco
    1981 VW Scirocco S - Soon to be a 16V :)-
             "The futures in the air,
             I can feel it everywhere,
          blowing with the Wind of Change."
                   - Scorpions