Re: 82' Scirocco (1.7l) stuttering a bit...

In a message dated 12/1/98 4:57:33 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mobbdeep@hotmail.com writes:

>  >One important point that I missed - your 1982 Scirocco has the sh*tty
>  >single outlet manifold - get a dual outlet manifold from an earlier
>  >Scirocco (1981 or earlier) or a Rabbit.
>  Ok, thanks, will do... I heard that the manifold is a bitch to get
>  off...

It is a drag to snap off the manifold studs, using a penetrating oil is the
way to go, not WD-40 which is a lubricant, but something like Liquid Wrench!
Yeah, good stuff. Spray some on the day before you intend to dismantle the
thing. Run the engine to normal operating temp and spray some more on after
you shut it off. Spray some more on right as you take to unwinding the things.
some say having the block warm makes for an easier time.

I just removed two manifold myself; one was an aftermarket header so it hadn't
been on there ten+ years but the GTI was an '84 and it had burnt up exhaust
gaskets, and I found one of the studs broken off beneath the head's surface.
:(

Couldn't easyout it, I should have drilled an additional bore, one size again
bigger, but wtf.

GL,
TBerk