The Breaks

Hey All,
I was driving home the other day when I noticed the cars on the beltway following my were way behind me. This seemed odd. Well it turns out my break lights have decided to not work. I mean they work but only at the end of the pedal. I never have to push that hard to stop. There has always been long pedal travel, but the car will stop if you want it to. I put in a new m/c about 4 years ago and since then the fronts have been upgraded to cross drilled/vented and all braded lines. If I pump the brakes when the car at idle the idle goes up. Could there be a vacuum leak? Could the booster be bad?. There is plenty of brake fluid, but could it just need to be bled? I'm at a loss but have not really got my hands dirty yet. Just wanted to see what you all might think it is. Oh, this is an 1981 scirocco S.

TIA

mark hausler
'81 scirocco s
'94 toyo 4x4