Power versus wheels.

Let's get one thing straight:  larger wheels don't reduce the power your car
has.  They do hurt acceleration because they have more mass and it takes
some additional power to spin that larger mass up to speed than a smaller,
lighter wheel/tire combo.

So many of you seem to be very fond of the 195/50/15 wheel and tire size,
but with my 195/50/15 Dunlop SP8000s I still have considerable wheelspin in
1st gear (yes, that's just from pushing down on the gas pedal, not popping
the clutch) even on smooth and dry pavement.  Don't get me wrong: I do like
the SP8000 tire and the 15" rims.  They have excellent grip and great wet
weather handling.  I just wish I had something a little more sticky to get
the power to the road in first gear and don't especially want to go to a
larger wheel size or lose wet weather performance.  I do live in Seattle,
after all.

-Bradley
1986 Scirocco 16V 2.0l
http://effervescent.com/vw/