tranny is toast

Welp, here's the skinny.  If I put my car in reverse, I then have all five
forward gears in order one time.  After that, if I start trying to down
shift, I can usually? only find 3rd (or 4th) through 5th.  I had a buddy
jump in the car and move the shifter all around.  Linkage looks fine.  Ball
and sockets are intact.  Best I can come up with is that's it's something
internal to the tranny that's fucked up.  Does that sound reasonable?  What
should a used one at a junk yard cost me?  Should I have to have it
rebuilt?  Thanks.

Woefully yours,
Dan
'86 8v red martian