Re: Sport Tuning Book?

> Hi everyone,
>
> Does anyone own a copy of that book, "Volkswagen Sport Tuning For Street
> and Competition", by Pat Schroeder?  I had a chance to quickly flip
> through a copy the other day ... looks like a bunch of jibberish about
> changing Motronic mapping chips and such.  Is there anything worthwhile in
> it for the diehard Mark I enthusiast?
>
> Arg.  I think I'll write a book about tuning Mark I (real) Volkswagens.
> It seems like something that is sorely needed, in a world smitten by
> computerized fuel injection and other yuccky junk.
>
> -- Michael Helms

Yeah, I have a copy of it.  It's not as bad as you say, as in, it's not all
about chip-tuning.  It's got some good concrete ideas on all aspects of
modifing watercooled vw's.  From suspension, exhaust, brakes, heads,
interiors...and it's geared towards both the fast street driver and a race
(solo I or II) driver.  It's not a bible, nor is it always accurate (consult
your own class rules for allowable mods) but it is a good read and collects
many many ideas in a single reference.  I think this list answers many of
the sames questions as that book (sometimes better, sometimes worse :) ) but
it never comes out all at once on this list, ya know.  Like anything in
this hobby/sport: it's a tool, another data point to either back up your
own (or others) ideas on what should work, and what probably won't.  There's
so much crap that tuners/users/abusers/idiots put out on what mods are
good/great/not-worth-a-damn that every little bit helps, right?

==Brett