SV: 1.8l 8v turbocharging

Two ways are possible, the first is run a low boost turbo (max
0,35-0,4bar) . Pressure is depending on compression level. Might
need to change fuelsystem to one that can deliver more fuel
(Saab or Volvo turbo) and the vaccum/boost unit on your
distributor.
Benefits are since you don't lower compression ratio you don't
loose hp, drawback is youcan't boost so much and will not get
much more power. Probobly to expensive for the small gain. Will
generate a hot tourque-curv that is impressive.

Second way is lowering compression level to 8,5:1 or even down
to 7,5:1 depending on how much power you want. Double head
gaskets works ok to lower compression. Boost is to your personal
taste but over 0,6 bar you need an intercooler to cool the air
to the engine. Maximum pressure is about 1,0 bar without
stronger valve springs etc.

Camshaft, pistons etc works fine with original.
With the second setup you can easily get +170hp, +200 is
reachable with some effort. Torque should exceed 200Nm without
problem and start down low if right turbo is choosen.

Fuel economy shouldn't be changing much unless you start to
accelerate much more. But with the extra power the benefit is
that you can't accelerate for so long until you reached max rpm
or the road is turning.

Either ways, first thing that needs to be reinforced is motor
mounts and clutch. The pressure plate must have much harder
force. Adding a protection shield from the later 1,8 16V golfs
over the inner CV boot is needed if you dont want to change CV
boots every 20hour of driving.

More questions and/or info about my turbo Scirocco can be
emailed me personally.

Roland Johansson
Scirocco 1,6l TIC -82
Http://hem.passagen.se/toker

> Does anyone on this list have, or know of people putting
turbos onto 8v's