Re: Motor Mounts

Normally, a person does not just break a couple of mounts.  Type 1 VWs, however, do wear
them out too fast using the stock rubber mounts.  I have two roccos which both have been
highly modified.  My 82 2.1 16v has poly mounts that give a rough idle but have never worn.
My 86.5 2.0 16v is driven daily and my first stock mounts went bad about 30k miles.  I replaced
them with stock (big mistake) and had trouble too soon.  This last set were HD from autotech
and were 3 years old.  I had my short block changed out this past year (reworked 2.0) and it
now appears the mounts that were used were stock or defective.  Pushed it hard yesterday
off the line and at about 80 it sounded like my headers were wanting to fall off.  Put the car
on the lift and saw the damage.  I had been advised when the short block was put in not to
use anything short of poly.