WAS Switch to synthetic at 160k? Nows its long post about results of tests. VRY LONG

But that is exactly my point (and Car and Drivers) Unless you are a person
who tends to not change your oil at regular times. The test showed after the
same amount of time/starts/miles/temperatures that there was NO difference
in any or the oils they used...none fine' They said as far as the "gets to
the top of the motor on startup" lie that the companies try to tell
you...they went on to say that there were cars actually tested thousands and
thousands of times just started over and over.....and there was no
difference...none..........They said that if you are to change your oil from
new with synthetic  (every 5K is most companies suggestion) you would spend
around $525 every 100 thousand miles....the same amount of changes (every 3
k) was figured out to be $285. Now you have to consider they added in the
price of the oil filter each time. The conclusion was this.....If in any
condition the proper weight oil was used for the proper conditions (cold and
hot). The amount of money spent was not justified in amounts of money saved
on repairs of the engines in there life time......At the end they added that
three of the motors they used actually fail first with the three out of the
top seven most expensive synthetics available on the market as compared to
regular conventional oils that only had 2 fail completely Now as for the
race peoples ideas of motor oil. First off understand that race cars (top
fuel and nascar/Indy/most professionals) Do not use the regular oils that
you purchase over the counter...Some try to say they do but they can
not....Oils are not able to handle those temperature at least without
additives so they may be using those oils but they have some kinda space
aged polymer to back it up. So therefore to even talk about a race cars use
of oils at least from a professional standpoint is useless. As for the no
oil in the engine.....well this is a no brainer...anytime you have no oil
you are going to damage you engine...to what extent is rarely determined by
the type of oils used....more of a factor would be amount of time without
and use of the vehicle. This was a joined test by over 300 companies and it
was only published by Car and Driver (who wrote a disclaimer that they had
nothing to do with the testing itself).  So  the companies themselves being
Castrol,Amsoil,Mobile Etc actually performed the tests. I am sure they had
no intentions of releasing these tests to the public but here they
are....The choice is always yours...I will chose to save that little extra
money (specially since its just wasted money for a false hope) and spend it
on more mods which will actually improve something (which actually will
reduce the life of the engine/car anyways hehe). Why is it so hard to
understand that companies do not look out for there people they sell there
products to and that they give false hopes and expectations? Is this after
all not how you go about making products as a whole sellable? You make a
product and say its better than another, does not matter if it actually
is...just so you can get some people to buy it who cares if it actually is
or not. The American way isn't it? (sorry to anyone who is not a U.S.
Citizen but if you ever owned a US car you know what I mean). The whole
thing that made this  write up get so much credibility with me is engineers
actually had comments at the end of the article supporting the whole article
and the references that the article was taken from would blow your mind. If
you are interested look up some of the data. I am sure you will be shocked
at what the results actually are when written in black and white on tests
over and over.

P.S. Jim I fully understand why you would buy synthetics. I mean if there
was any way that I could make my car last longer,take care of it more and
make it have more performance I would do it also! But never be afraid to
question that what you have been told. Read the article at least it will
question what you think now!