Re: Great CDN Bug Show.

(V.Harris (Fnugen)) had the balls to say:

> meeting John Van Vuren (he even looks like a redneck)

Hey now!!!!!!  I resemble that!!   But I'm wondering if a freak like you
would think everyone who doesn't have dyed hair looks like a redneck?!?
Hehehe

> He showed his 16v bunny truck.....he shoulda won a
> plaque, but they screwed up with catagories and judging.

Well, actually after you left, I *did* get a plaque.  Not sure why it
bothered me, as I only entered the truck to have a good parking spot,
admission to the show, and a place to keep the dog, but I talked to the
guy and showed him my form that said class II and he handed me a plaque
and said the engraved portion would arrive in the mail.  So, at the
second show my truck has been entered in, it won 1st in its class!!

Here's my late night recollection of the trip in general:

Left here (Wisconsin) Friday around noon, headed for London Ontario
(Verne's house), terrible traffic in Chicago, way behind schedule.
Arrive at Verne's approximately 3 am, no lights on, so let dog
"decorate" his yard and go get a hotel room (truck seats don't
recline).  Meet up with Daun, Verne and some of his buddies Saturday
morning.  We make the 2 hour trip to Toronto in a caravan of 6 VWs,
ranging from a VR6 Golf to an A1 Jetta.  What a blast!!  Get to the
autocross, meet Jason the Mad Bastard (fitting name btw), his gf Alee.
That night we all stayed at Alee's house, and went for a late night
cruise around Toronto.  For a backwoods country boy, downtown Toronto at
night is downright scary!  We were all stopped at a gas station, where
we saw the attendant just about have to kill a customer, and also a
Ferrari Testarossa.  Later we saw the same Testarossa on the street, and
a block later a bright yellow Diablo.  Got up the next morning in the
rain, headed back to the show, had a great time, met Brett Van
Sprewenburg, Sal Guzzo, Greg Faust, Mike Helms, Ben Beacock, and
probably some other people.  The scirocco.org stickers on Verne's car
right next to my truck really helped in meeting people.
After the show, I headed down to New York, and hooked a '73 Beetle onto
my 16v pickup and towed it home to Wisconsin.  I could run up to 100
mph, had the AC on, and still got 28 mpg's!!  I was very impressed, and
this was with a 200 pound topper, 100 pound dog, tools, clothes, 2
people, etc!

Overall, the trip was great, I had a great time and enjoyed almost every
minute.  A great big thanks to Alee for the place to stay on Saturday
night, providing about 15 vw freaks with sleeping space has to be
difficult.

John

'87 16v Scirocco
and lots of other stuff