RE: O2 sensor

 I had an 84 Rabbit with a carb. It was a Carter-Weber carb (impossible
to find a rebuild kit for it!) 84 was the transition year, and I think
they just emptied the parts bins of anything that wasn't going on the
85's. Whenever I went to a parts store (before I found out about
Adirondack) I would have to take the afflicted part with me to match it
up with a new one.
 If I recall correctly, the O2 sensor did have some control over the
choke. As far as I could tell that's the only wires that where connected
other that the choke coil heater wire.