Switch to synthetic at 160k?

As i've mentioned before, i've found myself a nice 84 scirocco with an
incredible 1.8JH engine (160psi) that has 160k mi on it... what i'm
wondering is, since the engine is in such good shape, should I consider
running synthetic in it? Is it possible the previous owner did run
synthetic (which would explain how good shape the engine is in) , and how
would I go about finding out if it really is synthetic oil in there.

Thanks in advance...

Alex Tomic - Monkey #37 -   "Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?"
atomic7@home.com - http://members.home.net/atomic7