Compression question

I've come across an 84 scirocco (8v) which I bought as a parts car
originally, and as I mentioned once before, have a very very strong engine
in it, 160/155/155/160 psi per cylinder. What I was wondering, is, how
exactly is the compression ratio related to the psi of compression you get
when testing it? I figured maybe, since cyl. 1 makes 160psi compression,
and one atm (atmospheric pressure) is 14.7psi, that would make cyl.1 have a
compression ratio of 10.8:1 ! This seems too high of course, so I"m
wondering where my flaw in logic is... also, how much compression does a
new JH have, 180 per cylinder? If i have so much compression in this
engine, should oil burning be an issue at all? I'm thinking of dumping the
current car in favor of fixing what I thought was my parts car... turns out
all i need is a water pump, front struts, tires and a paint job to have
myself a sweeeet car!

Ooh and best of all -- the odometer stills works perfectly! Hopefully i'll
get it past 300,000 km. The amazing thing is that the engine has got
257,000 km's on it, and is so strong! Gotta love vw's!

Alex Tomic - Monkey #37 -   "Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?"
atomic7@home.com - http://members.home.net/atomic7