S2 (Electrical) re-locating battery

I know this thread was discussed 4 or 5 months ago but I need some list input
on my project. I just finnished moving my battery to the rear. For connections
I used 2ga (or maybe it's 4ga) for the positive and grounded to the chassy for
the neg. The volt guage gives me a good reading, (12.5) but the trouble is,
the car wont crank over. I can hear the solonoid click and the starter try to
move but there just doesn't seem to be enough juce. Will a better battery help
this problem (gell-cell deep cycle)? Do I need to run a ground all the way
from the battery? TIA for any input/advice.

Nate