throttle body (again!)

I think I want to stop off at the 'yard this weekend and take a look for a
throttle body.  Coupla questions:

I'll gain performance (horsies?), right?  How much?  What will I lose?  Gas
mileage?

What GTi TB's work?  What Audi 5000's work?  Is either more desirable?

The guy I got the car from thinks my car is "old style" and that I can't TB
upgrade.  It's an '86 8v completely stock motor.  How do I know if I can do
this?

Thanks!

Dan
'86 8v red martian