Re: Draining gas tank

Pull out the back seat, unscrew the little round cover, and then pull
the sending unit out of the tank.  You will need a screw driver
(chisel) and hammer to get it to spin about 1/8 turn.  Under the
sending unit there is a filter unit in the bottom of the tank.  Use a
wire coat hanger to reach in and pull it out.  After 9 years of
sitting, I'll bet that screen-filter is laquered solid.  Also why you
are in there, look for RUST.  If the tank insides are rusty, your
better off replacing it from a bone yard, you'll NEVER get all the
rust out.

Depending on the year of your Rocco, there may be a small pump in
there also to feed the main fuel pump.  If you have one, pull it out,
clean and test it.

I've done tanks as old as 6 years, but not nine.  Let us know how it
turns out.

Ken Buck
Philadelphia Region SCCA Solo II Chair
78 DSP VW Scirocco regional champ 94, 95, 97
85 VW Scirocco dirt Thunder Car
"1997 Rookie of the Year" Linda's Speedway
Rusty 78 Scirocco daily driver
(2) '80 Sciroccos- project cars- for sale