Re: Last problem

I just went out and checked the idle stabilizer, it was buzzing so I assume it
is working just fine.  What should I check now?

Rich(87 16v)

<< I had a very similar problem with my 86 GTI motor.  I didn't matter if it
 was hot or cold, whenever I started the car it would stumble around for a
 while and idle like at 500-1000.  Sometimes at stoplights the idle would
 also drop to 750.

 It turned out to be my idle stabilizer.  It is a little golden colored
 thing that has a three wire plug on one end and attaches to the intake
 manifod via two large hoses.  When you have the ignition on, car off, the
 stabilizer should buzz a little like and on/off humming sound.  If it
 doesn't buzz then the valve is bad and won't allow the proper amount of air
 to enter the intake at idle.

 Other than the possibility of a large vacuum leak that plugs up when warm
 (not likely) or a small fuel leak that is causing a pressure loss when the
 car is off (also not likely) my money is on the idle stuff.

 Good luck.

 Brian Honnold
 '78 Rocco Ragtop