RE: Performance Variance

I have something for you to try.  Next time you are feeling that it is
down on power -- and have a minute -- stop, turn the engine off, and
unplug the main computer connection.  Then plug it back in, start up and
see if it feels better.

Logic behind aforementioned ridiculous idea:
According to 'my' mechanic who has a _lot_ of vw racing and tuning
experience, the computers are fairly sophisticated for their time and
they actually learn.  This is not a problem if you putter around like a
grandmother all day, but if you beat on your car a lot (and who
doesn't?) the computer learns that this is normal behavior and changes
its mapping to give maintain a margin for safety.  He tells us that we
should do this several times during a rally because during the course of
the racing, it sees too much time at the edge of the spark acceptability
curve and backs off.  Which backs the power off.  Personally, I don't
know if this is noticeable or even reasonable, by my man swears by it
and he seems to know his VW shit.  (VW and Audi is all he does, and he
has gotten a lot of power from our 1.8 8v)

Let me know if this makes a difference

Damien