Muffler

I know this question will cause many different opinions so here we go.
My recent purchase of a 88 16v has the perfect original exhaust, but the
muffler is questionable because it has been sitting so long.  My problem
is, do I just get a preformance muffler and connect it to the original
exhaust or do I go for the cat back exhaust?  I am leaning towards the
Autotect  cat back system right now.  Any comments????

Prevous e-mail I forgot to include what I am driving

97 Jetta VR6
88 Scirocco 16v