Re: Changing engine... Are these steps ok?

On Sun, 16 Aug 1998 23:04:27 -0400 VwFrank <fstamand@cmltech.com> writes:

>Are these step right? Am I missing something that can stop my show?
>(they might not be in a good order)
>
>1 - remove battery.
>2 - remove windshield sprayer & hood.
>4 - remove injectors
>7 - remove backup switch plug, speedo cable, linkage clip

Not really neccessary to do these, but you can if you desire to do it.

>12 - remove heater hoses
>15 - remove gas pedal cable

Not really neccessary to remove. Just disconnect them and lay them aside.

>16 - remove horn (?)

WHY? Nah, no need to.

>Question 1 - can I keep the axles on the tranny?

You can. I used to remove the tranny this way. (I didnt have the tool for
the axle bolts.) Its alot easier to get the tranny out of the car with
the axles out. Theres alot of extra manuvering of the tranny with the
axles on, not to mention the added stress to the inner CV's. Your much
better off removing them.

>Question 2 - what is the best way to find a good engine with a good
>compression?

Repair shop?

>Question 3 - Would it be best for me to just re-built mine?  As I said,
i'm
>not very good inside an engine (ie: don;t know how to remove/install a
>timing belt.)

Then you dont want to try and tackle a project like this then considering
your skill level. Im not saying you cant, just expect to have some
problems on the building aspect, expect it to take you a lot longer to
rebuild than if you were to buy a used motor or if you were to take the
block to a shop and have the required machine shop work done to restore
and even improve the performance of the engine. (And you'll be much
happier too) You could also find a rebuilt engine for the car. (Your old
motor would then be a "core".)
Shop around! Find a good shop. Do alot of research before commiting
yourself to a shop. Know exactly what it is you want done.

>Question 4 - Any special tools needed apart the ratchet set, the
>hoist, the axle 30mm nut remover, quick-wrench, vise-grip,
screw-drivers..?

>Thanks
>
>Frank

There is the special tool for the axle bolts. Also another special tool
for the head bolts, but I dont think your going to tear down the motor
that far, are you? Sounds like you should have the tools lined up for the
job. Good luck!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and