Re: reboring?

4mm?!!? are you crazy? A standard rebuild from stock is .5mm (.020 over).
This is what I'm finishing up right now.

If your engine is burning oil, you probably wont be able to just do the
rings, you'll have to bore and hone the cyl. get new pistons, new rings,
and while you're at it might as well turn the crank, and while you're doing
the crank you should align hone the mains as well.. get it? :)

Then you'll have to do the head as well, because your valve guides and
seals are sure to be shot (thats probably where 90% of your oil smoke comes
from) which means: new valves, guides, seals, might as well do a new
g-grind, deck the head flat, and do the block too.

So you see, you'll have to do a complete rebuild, which cost me about $2500
so far. If I was REALLY skimping, it could've been done for about $1500.
U.S. funds!

At 10:47 PM 8/17/98 -0400, you wrote:
>My oil burning, low compression engine is starting to get on my nerves, and
>I'm thinking about what I could do ... I was thinking about maybe doing a
>rebuild, or at least just the rings, but then I thought about maybe
>reboring it. I never really hear anyone talk about it in here, do VW 1.8's
>not like it very much? Doing some nice calculations (this math degree will
>come in handy once I graduate! heh), from a 4mm increase in diameter of
>each cylinder (assuming I did my calcs right,) would yield a 160cc increase
>in displacement, or, make it almost a 2.0l (it'd be something like 1950cc
>or something). I haven't had the head off of a 1.8 in a while, so i can't
>really remember how thick the cylinder wall is, and how much you could
>safely cut into it.
>
>This seemed pretty enticing because I looked into what a rebuild would cost
>me, and a rebuild+rebore wouldn't be that much more since I have a
>connection to a machine shop...
>
>For the cost, and power increase I figure that i'll get, would I just be
>better off swapping in a 16v 1.8l, or a 2.0l from a Audi (what model/year
>range am I looking at for the Audi 2.0l?)
>
>Has anyone else tried this... is the power increase worthwhile? Comments,
>thoughts, flames welcome...
>
>Alex Tomic - Monkey #37 -   "Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?"
>atomic7@home.com - http://members.home.net/atomic7
>--

"If God had meant for us to use the metric system, we would've been born
with ten fingers and ten toes."

Kevin Fry .:. 81 Scirocco S
      San Diego, CA