Re: simple questions from a novice

Dan, congrats on your newfound appreciation of a truly awesome car.  Since your
car is in good shape mechanically, there might be a few things to purchase
initally that can drastically improve the handling, durability and overall
enjoyment.  First is a lower tie bar.  This connects the front bolts of each
front suspension member together, of which all A1 chassis cars (except Scirocco
16 valve) did not have.  Purchasing an upper tie bar, which  connects the front
shock towers is also a good idea.  Eurosportacc.com has some upper and lower
packages.  As far as aftermarket retailers go, evaluate them on a product by
product basis, for instance Neuspeed has a high performance throttle body,
about $250.  You can get basically the same thing from a junkyard off an Audi
5000 or late model GTi for around $20.  Just ask the list about a particular
product, and chances are, you'll see a pattern of those who are satisfied with
it and those who are not.

The car color you refer to is probably Mars Red.

The wheels are generally referred to as "basket weave" or "GTi" rims, since
they were standard on 1983 and 1984 U.S. GTi's and a few other models as
well.

Mk1 and Mk2 are simply designations given to the 2 different body styles the
Scirocco came in, being that they were both A1 chassis, yet needed to be
distinguished from one another.

HTH!

Jim
Please feel free to visit my site:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/5211/index.html

Daniel A. Nowlan wrote:

> I have had my '86 Scirocco for almost three years, but I've never been a
> big VW fan.  (That's why I'm a novice, not a newbie.)  I'm starting to come
> around now, though.  My 'Rocco is an 8 valve, 5-speed, ~150k miles, a/c,
> pretty good shape mechanically, good int, red-orange ext (what's the color
> officially called?),  hale damage.  By looking at the pics from
> http://www.scirocco.org I guess I have an MKII.  Where does that
> terminology come from and what does it mean?  Also, what do you call the
> wheels like on http://www.scirocco.org/photos/53b/84gtx.jpg ?  I'm starting
> to think about getting some different kinds of little after-market things.
> In general, what companies should I be looking at?  Brad Sheridan mentioned
> Neuspeed a minute ago.  They any good for that kind of stuff?  Thanks for
> all the input.
>
> Dan
>
>   mailto:nowlan@flash.net
>   http://www.flash.net/~nowlan/

Need Wheels?  Visit my site at Bahnburners!

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/5211/index.html