TECH: "misses" when hot

  Hey all. I recently had a problem crop up. When it was hot outside, I
would get an idle that would jump up and down. Under hard/heavy
acceleration, I would get some hesitation and what seemed to be a miss. The
engine would rev normal and seem unrestricted, but you could feel an obvious
"stuttering" in the car. It would miss/sputter and acutally not gain any
speed. It also does did this on the highway.....I could cruise ok, but if I
needed to pick it up any, it would do this "miss" thing again. What I did to
try to rectify this was....replace components with either new or used.
(under the impression I was getting good used parts...I also have no reason
to believe that these people would try to pull a fast one..as I know them
personally)

In order of replacement:
- -tune-up parts ALL NEW (cap, rotor, plugs, wires)
- -injector seals NEW
- -fuel filter NEW
- -transfer pump NEW
- -pressure regulator USED
- -fuel pump USED

Now........after replacing these parts...it runs much better. The idle seems
to be back to about normal...desn't seem to jump around anyway. But, it
still has the "miss/hesitation" when hot or on highway drives. It seems I
can't get more than 5 mintues into a drive when the problem rears it's ugly
head. There has GOT TO BE a techie head out there that knows what this may
be. It is getting REALLY REALLY REALLY annoying trying to pin it down, not
too mention time consuming and somewhat expensive. I was hoping to have it
fixed this by this week as the Toronto show is this weekend....and I loath
the thought of driving around a HUGE city with this problem.  OH
YEAH......if I drive it like a "normal" person....it doesn't seem to happen.
Only under spirited influences or higher speeds does it pop up to TICK ME
OFF !!!!!

    Verne :
    http://www.skyia.com/~vwman/h2ovw.htm     <---my car and general pics
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/2830/   <---A1 pics only !!!!

       84 Wolfsburg Scirocco--Perf mods are adding up now
       91 Passat GL--The mods have begun....my wife's car
       89 Wicked Fat Chance--(MTB)...still rides like new
         | " Save the trails, don't ride in the mud,  |
         | and always drive watercooled Volkswagens." |