[Tech] That redlining oil temp problem on my 78...is solved!

Just a quick recap...my 78 went in to the shop to replace the 3 shaft oil
seals, the water pump, an oil pressure switch, and assorted belts and a
lower radiator hose (belts and hose all munged due to leaky seals).  When I
get the car back the coolant and oil temps almost redline within 15 minutes!

Shop's story is that the overheating is probably due to running the a/c
...so, mister, why does it happen when the a/c is off, too?  Then it's the
gap between the condenser and the radiator (wow, all of a half inch!) and a
leaky radiator cap.  Fixed that, get the car home the 2nd time and guess
what?  Still overheats.

Now *I* look at it: timing is retarded almost 10 degrees and the radiator
hose they replaced has a kink in it.

So I reset the timing and replace the hose with a proper one and presto!
The coolant temp runs at 1/3 the scale and oil temps are at 110C with a/c
on full blast (hey, it *is* Houston), just like before these grease monkeys
got their mitts on my car.  I did get some of my money back, but it just
goes to show ya', when you want it done right, do it yourself.  Now I sit
getting silly on some good Scottish medicinal fluid, pretty damn happy that
my car was rescued from the dark side once more.

Thanks for listening, and thanks also to the guys who replied to my earlier
queries about this stuff...Steven (NJScirGTX)...Brian Honnold...Dave
(HOTGTX)...Josiah!

Joachim

Joachim and Belinda and Hobi and Griffin in Houston, TX
...and now Lucky, the rescue kitten, too!
beekj@ghg.net

Strong drink is the curse of the land.
It makes you argue with your neighbors.
It makes you shoot at your landlord.