American light upgrade ...

Hi everyone,

I don't remember who was asking abut an upgrade for American lights, but
here's my reply nonetheless.

The idea of upgrading my front end to Euro headlights didn't appeal to me
(too much money for something too small), so I instead decided to go with
the Bosch quartz halogen conversion lights.  Basically, these are lights
that look like your sealed beams, and fit in the same holes ... but
instead of just having a crappy sealed beam element, they use an H4 (H1
for the high beam) bulb.  Granted, this isn't the cheapest mod to do
(about $175 Canadian for the set of 4), but boy does it help.

I'm running a Durimex 90/130 watt H4 bulb in my low beams, and an Osram
100 watt H1 in my high beams.  This means I have 180 watts of combined low
beam power, and 460 watts of high beam power!  I also wired in relays
(these thing really suck power), and boy is it bright.

I'm not sure how this arrangement compares to the Euro headlights (you are
running the same bulbs, after all), but I'm sure the difference in light
output is negligable.  As long as you don't mind keeping the look of your
American style headlights, this is the way to go.

Cheers,
-- Michael Helms

'81 Scirocco - the fixer-upper
'86 Scirocco - the daily driver