RE: Making a 4 door GTI.

    Wow, thanks for all the opinions! With this and all the
local people I have talked to, I think I'm gonna do it. If
you guys are interested, I'll keep you posted on how it
turns out. If anyone has any old toys I could put on this
car, let me know. I'll definitely be looking for some... .

PS- Sorry about crossposting/not tagging/posting this off
topic. I kinda slipped totally out of the scirocco frame.

- -Noah

>>But you also want to consider that you have a GTi and this
>other car
>>is a Golf, right?  The GTi has rear disk brakes and I
think
>the Golf
>>has drums.  The GTi has vented front rotors and I remember
>some Golfs
>>only having solid front rotors.  Also, there's the
>difference in the
>>motor, or were you going to swap that with the tranny?
And
>if you
>>swap the engine, I think you'll want to change over the
>axles as well
>>because your GTi uses beefier CVs/etc.  It's going to be
>plenty of
>>work and you may downgrade more than you upgrade.
>
>    A few points taken there, but there are quite a few
>counter arguments caused by the difference of mileage. The
>Golf has 140k(tight) and the GTI has 231k(tired). Golf has
>great AC; GTI :dead compressor. Golf has great steering
>rack, bushings, struts, bearings, etc. GTI: well, ooold.
>Golf has a straight body, no dents, rust, etc. GTI: Not so
>good. Lets just say that I could have been more careful
>leaving the bar... a few times.
>
>    So basically, If you had had some idea of the state of
>the cars involved, you'd have said "yeah, good idea. Your
>car's about dead anyway."
>
>    Besides, I think a 4 door GTI would be really cool.
This
>car is my "weekday commuter / grocery getter", so the extra
>two doors would be really useful. If I wanna really rip it
>up, I'm gonna get in my cabbie anyway...
>
>    So, I guess I'm gonna go for it. Unless there are any
>more who say nay?
>

>-Noah
>-87 GTI 8v
>-83 16v Cabrio
>-89 Golf 4d
>-looking for a 'rocco  (Hey, what happened to ol' JR?)
>

>Stuff I said:
>
>>> I'm thinking about trying to convert a golf that I just
>>> bought for $250 (bad auto tranny) over to a 5 spd. Can
>>> anyone tell me how difficult this is? (without telling
me