Re: Connect SCSI prph's to G3 IDE drive?

>On 8/8/98 at 5:42 PM -0400, macman said to Kreme and others:
>> No.  You cannot connect SCSI periupherals to the IDE bus, and visa-versa.
>>  You can connect internal and external SCSI devices to the SCSI bus on
>> the G3.  The G3 has two IDE buses for HD and CD, and newer models have a
>> third IDE for the Zip.  They still have a single SCSI bus for internal or
>> external devices.
>
>Are you sure?  I think the Zip is SCSI (unless they changed it recently, I
>know for a fact it WAS SCSI).

The initial Zip drive in the G3 PowerMac was SCSI.  They revised the
motherboard to support slave-mode IDE devices, which allowed them to use
IDE Zip drives, which are probably a little cheaper.  This was the same
revision that upgraded the graphics controller to the ATI RAGE Pro.  There
were reports on MacInTouch about the change a month or two ago.

- --Glen Hoag
  hoag@ro.com