Re: Connect SCSI prph's to G3 IDE drive?

On 8/8/98 3:26 PM, S. McStravick said:

>1. I'm a little confused about these IDE drives. I hear they
>are generally slower, but the G3 IDE is still faster than my
>current 100mhz 7500 SCSI drive. Is that true?

The IDE drives are faster (at 8MB/s) than the external SCSI 1 drives (at
5MB/s) but slower than the internal Fast SCSI 2 (at 10MB/s) used in older
models.

>2. Also, may I attach my 1 SCSI cable scanner to the IDE
>without problems?

No.  You cannot connect SCSI periupherals to the IDE bus, and visa-versa.
 You can connect internal and external SCSI devices to the SCSI bus on
the G3.  The G3 has two IDE buses for HD and CD, and newer models have a
third IDE for the Zip.  They still have a single SCSI bus for internal or
external devices.

>3. May I Appletalk or Ethernet (?) my current 7500 SCSI Mac
>to the G3 IDE so they can share the same printers and/or
>access each other's drives? I will have two printers
>connected via the G3 printer port to a Belkin switch box.

Sure.  The OS handles everything seemlessly.

Stephen Rea
Macintosh System Engineer     America Online          SoundBytes Radio
Jessi Group, Inc.             Mac Forum Consultant    www.soundbytes.org
716-624-1920                  AFC Rea                 WXXI-AM Rochester,
NY