A3 2.0 Conversion details (long)

Subject: Re: A3 2.0L swap into a Mk1

I think it's about time John Ryland chimed in - he stuck an A3 longlblock
into his '78 - complete. There are clearancing issues at the windage tray
and hood. And forget the upper stress bar.
************
Mark . . .

Here's some info for anyone interested in putting an A3 2.0 in an early
Scirocco. Mine is a 78:
I bought the following from Bug World (now called German Parts Warehouse) in
Rancho Cordova, California. The cost, delivered to Virginia was $1,600.

Entire 2.0 engine (including crossflow head) from a 93 Golf/Jetta
They removed the A/C and power steering and configured the motor to run
without it using an A2 90-amp alternator & misc. Fox pulleys. (if you retain
the A/C & PS, you can use the ultra-cool A3 alternator with serpentine
belt.)
Airbox was included, but didn't fit, so I used a P-flow w/RamAir filter
They modified an A3 wiring harness to work with my A1 Scirocco so I only had
five wires to hook up when done (they were labeled so it was very easy--said
things like "ground", "12v switched", "12v constant," etc.  With the harness
from Bug World, the swap is very straightforward. Without it, the
electronics will be a nightmare. The ECU was also included.

Since the fuel lines on my car are routed over to the driver's side, they
needed to be altered since the motor receives fuel on the passenger's side.
I mounted my fuel filter in the rain tray on the pass. side and used pipe
unions to splice the gas lines together. While I was at it, I installed an
in-line fuel pressure gauge. Looks damn cool and works nicely.

I had to use the dual-outlet exhaust manifold off my 1.8 in order to match
up to the TT dual downpipe. If you don't plan on running a cat, this works
great (A1/A2 dual outlet manifold with a Techtonics dual DP, Part # 251-100)
TT custom made an O2 sensor fitting at the collector of the pipe, this
ensures that all cylinders are being measured.